A helmet constitutes an essential safety gear. Regardless of your age or riding skill, wearing a helmet is mandatory whenever you ride a bike. Riding any bike exposes your head to injury, and wearing a helmet is the best way to protect it. After all, nobody would want to risk their lives.
A bike helmet reduces the risk of serious head and brain injury by 85 percent. Whether you are a rider or a pillion, you should wear a helmet during every ride, no matter how short. It is equally important to teach your children about using a helmet.
The below-listed helmet safety tips will resolve all your doubts about how a helmet protects your head and why it is important to wear it.
Why Should You Wear a Helmet?
According to a recent report, bike-related crashes killed around 900 people and injured more than 532,000 in a city in Australia alone. Cuts, bruises, and even broken bones may heal, but the damage to your brain may remain permanent. Even a low-speed fall may result in severe head injuries. You can prevent such disabling injuries by wearing a helmet.
How Does a Helmet Protect You?
When you wear a helmet during a crash or fall, the force of impact is distributed over the surface of the gear rather than being concentrated on your head. Besides this, the thick plastic foam inside the helmet’s hard outer shell provides extra protection, thus cushioning the blow.
If your helmet has been damaged because of a crash or fall, we advise you to purchase new gear as its interior may be damaged.
How To Choose a Helmet?
When you shop for a helmet, you will come across different types, shapes, and sizes. Many brands and manufacturers sell this gear in full swing. Here are a few points to consider when you look for a helmet.
- Always buy a helmet that has a snug fit. A loose helmet will slip from your head, and a tight helmet will make you feel uncomfortable.
- The helmet should cover the top of your head, and it should not tilt in any direction.
- Check the chin strap of the helmet. It keeps the gear from rocking in any direction.
- Buy a well-ventilated helmet so that you do not have to bother about sweat or humidity while riding a bike.
- Do not compromise or cut corners when choosing a good quality product. Fox Helmets are one of the best names in the market, and it is a good idea to buy from this brand.
Helmet Safety Tips to Follow
Now that you understand the importance of wearing a helmet, always abide by the below-listed safety tips concerning a helmet.
- When you shop for a helmet, look for a model that has a strong strap. The helmet’s straps keep it on your head after the first impact for the second impact. Your gear should adjust properly or be self-adjusting. It should be designed to encourage a good fit without fiddling.
- Your helmet should be comfortable to wear. The quality of the materials should be apparent. Choose a smooth and round helmet on the outside to prevent snagging in a crash.
- We recommend buying a full-face helmet if you engage in sports like dirt biking or off-road biking.
- Your helmet should come with clear and understandable instructions for fitting and use, and you must follow them to stay safe and prevent injuries.
- Caring for and maintaining your helmet is a must. Always clean your helmet with a microfiber cloth after each biking session. Store it in a cool and dry place. If your helmet starts wearing out, it is time to replace it with a newer one.
A helmet makes the most important investment of safety riding gear, and you must never turn a blind eye while shopping for it. Always follow the safety rules and teach others to do so.